Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches are loaded with rainbow-colored sprinkles and sandwiched with an irresistible light and airy cream cheese frosting. The combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar creates soft and chewy cookies for the perfect bite.
As a busy mom, I love making quick and easy desserts that the whole family loves. Soft & chewy funfetti cookies come together quickly, and a simple cream cheese frosting takes these cookies to the next level.
When I want an easy but impressive dessert for all ages, these funfetti sandwich cookies are my go-to! They can be prepped ahead of time, just like funfetti cutout cookies, and are a hit at any celebration!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy drop cookies. These sprinkle-loaded cookies come together quickly. No need to roll and cut dough or chill the dough. Just mix, drop a scoop on the pan, and bake!
- Creamy filling. Cream cheese frosting adds a slight tanginess and creamy filling to these funfetti cookies for a dreamy combination.
- Make ahead. Funfetti cookie sandwiches are easy to prepare in advance. You can store the dough in the freezer, make the dough up to 3 days in advance and chill it in the fridge, or freeze unfilled baked cookies. Lots of options for the busy baker!
Ingredients You'll Need
Funfetti Cookie Ingredients
- All-purpose flour. Has the right amount of protein content to create the perfect cookie texture (not too dense or chewy).
- Baking soda. This leavening agent helps the cookies spread and adds chewiness.
- Salt. Enhances the sweetness of the cookies. Just a little bit goes a long way.
- Butter. Creates moist and tender cookies and adds richness. Butter is creamed with the two sugars to add air into the dough, and when it melts, it helps the cookies spread.
- Sugar. Adds sweetness to the cookies. The brown sugar adds a slightly caramelized flavor and moisture. The granulated sugar contributes to the spread of the cookies.
- Vanilla. Always use pure vanilla extract when possible for the best flavor.
- Egg. Helps bind the cookie ingredients together and adds moisture and richness to the cookies.
- Rainbow sprinkles. The key ingredient for making sprinkle sandwich cookies! Select sprinkles over nonpareils.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Butter. Adds a rich flavor to the frosting. Use unsalted butter brought to room temperature.
- Cream cheese. Use block cream cheese. It has a dense, firm texture, perfect for making creamy frosting. Whipped cream cheese in a tub has too much air incorporated into it and is not ideal for frosting. Bring cream cheese to room temperature to create a smooth and creamy frosting.
- Powdered sugar. Sweetens the frosting and dissolves into a smooth consistency.
- Vanilla. The flavoring in the frosting.
- Heavy cream. Thins out the frosting to a pipable consistency. Add more or less depending on your desired consistency. You can substitute it with milk.
Equipment & Tools
- Digital kitchen scale or measuring cups. Using a scale will give you the most accurate measurement for consistent results.
- Measuring spoons.
- Baking sheet pan.
- Line your baking pans with parchment paper.
- Use a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to mix the dough and frosting.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- If using a stand mixer, use the accompanying large bowl otherwise, use a large mixing bowl with the handheld mixer.
- A rubber spatula is useful for scraping the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Use a cookie dough scoop for consistent sized cookies. I used a 1 ½ tablespoon size scoop for these sprinkle cookie sandwiches.
- A large disposable pastry bag lets you pipe a beautiful frosting swirl on each cookie. If you prefer, you can use an offset spatula or knife to spread the filling.
- Select your choice of a pastry tip for piping the frosting. I use a round tip, but you can also use a star tip.
Before you begin: Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and read the recipe from start to finish.
How to Make Funfetti Cookies
Whisk dry ingredients. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter and sugars. With a mixer, beat the butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.
Add egg and vanilla. Mix in to combine.
Add dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients into your batter until combined with the mixer on low.
Divide dough. Scoop the dough and arrange cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
Flatten and bake. Gently press down on the cookies and bake.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat cream cheese and butter. Beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Add sugar and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
Add cream. Add enough cream for desired consistency.
Assemble cookies. Pipe cream cheese on half the cookies and sandwich with the remaining cookies.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
As a trained pastry chef, I practice these tips to produce consistent cookies every time. They are simple but essential steps for the perfect cookie!
- Use room temperature ingredients. Doing this will allow your ingredients to blend smoothly and bake evenly.
- Creaming method. Don’t rush creaming the butter and sugars together. This step takes about 2-3 minutes until the mixture is light and pale in color. Incorporating air into the mixture is important, so your cookies can be light and fluffy (not dense!).
- Use a cookie scoop. Use a cookie scoop to portion out the same sized cookies.
- Chill dough if necessary. If your dough becomes soft and sticky, chill it in the refrigerator to firm up again. If the dough becomes too soft, it will cause the cookies to overspread.
- Cool cookies on the sheet pan. Allow your cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheet pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This allows them to begin to firm up.
Funfetti cookie sandwiches with slightly tangy cream cheese filling are a delightful pairing. But if you are looking for variations, here are some fun ideas!
- Chocolate sandwiches. If you love chocolate as much as we do, sandwich the cookies with chocolate buttercream from these birthday cake cupcakes.
- Roll in sprinkles. For an extra festive treat, roll each unbaked cookie in sprinkles.
- Ice cream sandwiches. Sandwich the cookies with vanilla or funfetti ice cream for a refreshing treat!
- Stuffed sandwiches. For an even richer cookie, try using stuffed funfetti cookies and then adding a thin layer of the filling in the middle of two cookies!
Storage & Freezing Tips
- At room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- In the freezer. Store cooled, unfrosted cookies in a freezer-safe container and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and frost before serving.
- Make-ahead. Refrigerate the cookie dough for up to 3 days before baking. Mix the cream cheese frosting up to 1 week in advance and refrigerate. When ready to bake, bring your cookie dough to room temperature, divide the dough, and bake.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rainbow sprinkles (aka jimmies) are ideal. They have pretty color options and won’t bleed into the batter like nonpareils (the tiny rainbow sugar balls) do.
Butter that’s too soft can cause overspread flat cookies. Make sure to use room temperature butter that is slightly firm to the touch yet leaves the impression of your finger when you press into it.
I always recommend unsalted butter because you can control the amount of salt in a recipe. In a pinch, you can use salted butter but eliminate the salt called for in the recipe.
Please leave a starred rating and comment below if you make these Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches. I love reading your feedback! And if you’d like to make this recipe later, don’t forget to pin it on Pinterest! Happy Baking!Print