Soft, homemade cinnamon rolls filled with a sweet, cinnamon mixture and topped with a creamy frosting. A delicious way to start the day.
Homemade cinnamon rolls are my favorite breakfast indulgence. I love the smell of sweet, cinnamon sugar as it permeates the kitchen while cinnamon rolls bake. It’s such a warm and cozy scent. And what’s not to love about biting into a warm roll out of the oven, as the frosting slowly drips down the side. YUM! Let’s be honest, the best part of any cinnamon roll is the center. It’s the softest part and full of the cinnamon mixture.
Taking the time to make homemade cinnamon rolls beats any store-bought kind. It’s absolutely worth the time and effort. When I was pregnant with our son, I woke up one morning craving a cinnamon roll, and of course it had to be homemade. I called all the breakfast spots near us until I found a place that made them from scratch. And boy was it delicious!! Pregnancy craving satisfied.
There are no crazy ingredients that go into creating delicious homemade cinnamon rolls. Just simple pantry staples. The key is to ensure the dough is mixed just enough without being over mixed, having ingredients at the proper temperature, and proofing your dough in a warm place.
Making homemade cinnamon roll dough
- Kneading. You can certainly knead the dough by hand. It just requires more elbow grease and more time. However, if you have a stand mixer with the dough attachment I would suggest this option as it is much easier (less of a mess as well)!
- Yeast. This recipe calls for instant yeast. So simple to use, just add to your dry ingredients. Doesn’t require any activation with a warmed liquid (my favorite part of instant yeast). Keep any leftover yeast in the refrigerator to maximize its shelf life and ensure it maintains its leavening power.
- Proofing. This dough will proof for about 1 hour once it is mixed. Alternatively, you can proof in the refrigerator overnight. I typically like to make the dough the night before and allow it to proof overnight so in the morning I only have to proof it once (30 minutes for the second proof). Gives you extra time to sleep in!
- Rolling. Be sure to roll the dough nice and tight to keep your filling from spilling out. I always prefer to roll the dough away from me. Using a technique of stretching and rolling the dough helps keep it tight.
- Slicing. Once rolled trim ends of dough. Slice log into 12 pieces. Alternatively, you can slice the log into 10 rolls and bake them in a round pan.
- Butter – acts as the glue for the filling. Make sure the butter is soft enough to easily spread across your dough.
- Light brown sugar – adds a really nice flavor to your filling. Brown sugar is moister and has a stronger flavor than granulated sugar.
- Cinnamon – gives the homemade cinnamon rolls that delicious spice factor!
Cream cheese frosting
You can’t have a homemade cinnamon roll without a delicious frosting. My go-to frosting is cream cheese based! It’s creamy and rich, leaving you wanting more! Begin by beating cream cheese and butter on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Finally, add the heavy cream to thin out slightly. Frost the cinnamon rolls while they are slightly warm so that the frosting easily spreads.
Enjoy making these homemade cinnamon rolls. They are delicious for breakfast with a fresh cup of coffee and equally delicious as an afternoon treat with a cold glass of milk. Happy Baking!
Love cinnamon rolls? Try these other recipes…Print
Pin it for later: