If you can’t resist sampling cookie dough while making cookies, then you will love this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough recipe! It’s perfectly sweet and safe to eat with heat-treated flour and no eggs. Sprinkles add the perfect touch for a fun and festive cookie dough.
I love making cookies, but I especially love sampling the dough as I prepare the cookies for baking. However, because of raw ingredients, it isn’t safe to consume traditional cookie dough. So for a delicious and safe dough, I’m sharing my edible sugar cookie dough that you can eat and serve to your kids without feeling guilty. This cookie dough has the same great flavor as funfetti cookies and you don’t even need a mixer.
Why this recipe works
- Tastes just like funfetti cookies but in raw form.
- Can be made with any color sprinkles for themed celebrations.
- Delicious topping for ice cream.
- Made with 7 simple ingredients.
Before you begin
Take out the following baking equipment.
Digital kitchen scale
Baking sheet pan
Stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
Allow all of your ingredients to come to room temperature.
Read the recipe through from start to finish.
Using unsalted butter will allow you to control the amount of salt in your recipe and the final flavor of your cookie dough. Not all brands use the same amount of salt in their butter, so it’s difficult to control the flavor when using salted butter.
Granulated sugar is the sweetener of choice for this cookie dough to give the classic sugar cookie flavor.
Milk is added to the dough to help achieve the perfect texture. Typically, the protein in the milk contributes to the moisture, color, and flavor of cookies, so it’s ideal to use whole milk. However, since we are not baking this cookie dough, you can use whatever milk you have on hand or even substitute with cream or half and half.
How to heat-treat flour
When making edible cookie dough, it is important to heat-treat the flour. You shouldn’t consume raw flour because it could have potentially harmful bacteria. Because it undergoes high heat during baking, normally this isn’t a concern.
To heat-treat your flour, preheat your oven to 350°F/177°C. Spread an even layer of flour onto a parchment-lined baking sheet pan. Bake for 5 minutes and then allow it to cool to room temperature, and it’s that simple. I recommend taking the extra step of sifting the heat-treated flour to break up any clumps.
How to make edible sugar cookie dough
Combine ingredients. Beat together the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
Add flour and milk. Sift the heat-treated flour and mix until combined. Add just enough milk until you reach your preferred consistency.
Add sprinkles. Finally, mix in the sprinkles until just combined.
Can this cookie dough be baked?
This edible cookie dough is just that, edible. Do not try and bake this recipe because it does not have eggs or leaveners (baking soda or baking powder) added to it. If you were to bake a batch of this dough, it would spread completely flat and yield an undesirable cookie. For flavorful sugar cookies that are soft and chewy, try baking my funfetti cookies.
How to serve edible cookie dough
Edible sugar cookie dough is a fun treat. Here are my favorite ways to serve it.
- Serve a scoop of cold cookie dough in a small bowl and enjoy like a bowl of ice cream.
- Enjoy a scoop of room temperature sugar cookie dough.
- Form the cookie dough into a 1/2-inch thick square or rectangle and refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze until firm. Cut into small squares and mix into freshly churned vanilla ice cream or use as an ice cream topping.
Tips and takeaways
- To make edible chocolate chip cookie dough, replace half of the granulated sugar with brown sugar and replace the sprinkles with your desired amount of chocolate chips.
- If you don’t have a mixer or prefer not to use one, you can mix this dough by hand. Begin with butter that is super soft, but not melted, to incorporate all the ingredients by hand more easily.
If you love sugar cookies, try these other recipes:
Make sure to tag me @thesweetoccasion on Instagram and leave me a review below if you make this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough. I’d love to see your creations and read your feedback. And if you would like to make this recipe later, be sure to pin this recipe using the button on any of these images. Let’s make every occasion a sweet occasion!Print