If you can't resist sampling cookie dough while making cookies, you will love this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough recipe! It's perfectly sweet and safe to eat. Sprinkles add the perfect touch for a fun and festive cookie dough.
As a professional baker, I love experimenting with creating new cookie recipes. The hardest part is resisting sampling the dough. So for a delicious and safe dough, I’m sharing my edible sugar cookie dough that you can eat as much as you want and serve to your kids without feeling guilty.
This recipe is super easy to make in under 20 minutes! And my favorite part, it has the same great flavor as funfetti cookies without the baking. It’s the perfect treat for a cookie dough lover.
And who doesn’t love funfetti flavored cookies? These soft, buttery funfetti cutout cookies, buttercream-stuffed birthday cake cookies, or two-layer birthday cake brownies will satisfy your cookie cravings!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You only need 6 staple baking ingredients and 20 minutes!
- It’s perfect for every occasion: birthdays, holidays, school treats, and more (bonus: use themed colored sprinkles)!
- This cookie dough is made in one bowl!
- It’s buttery and sweet with a hint of vanilla.
Before you begin
Take out the following baking equipment:
Digital kitchen scale
Baking sheet pan
Hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
Allow your butter to come to room temperature.
Read the recipe from start to finish.
- All-purpose flour: You must heat treat the flour to safely enjoy edible sugar cookie dough.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter for this recipe. Leave at room temperature for 1 hour to soften.
- Granulated sugar: This will sweeten your dough. It can easily be substituted with brown sugar (but it will result in a grainer texture).
- Salt: Don’t skip the salt. It adds the perfect balance to the sweet dough.
- Vanilla: The perfect flavor enhancer for sugar cookie dough. When possible, always use PURE vanilla extract for the best flavor!
- Milk: This recipe uses whole milk. Add more or less for your preferred consistency. You can also substitute with your milk of choice.
- Sprinkles: These are optional but add a fun pop of color and texture. You can use any color or even nonpareils.
How to Make This Recipe
- Spread the flour on a sheet pan and bake at 350°F for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Sift the cooled flour.
- Use a mixer to beat the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the sifted flour.
- Beat in enough milk for desired consistency.
- If using sprinkles, mix into the dough until evenly distributed.
Substitutions and Variations
- To make edible chocolate chip cookie dough, replace half of the granulated sugar with light brown sugar and replace the sprinkles with mini chocolate chips!
- Try these other mix-ins for variety: crushed Oreos, chopped candy bars, toasted chopped nuts, or mini M&M’s.
- Add a tint of food coloring to the butter and sugar mixture before mixing in the flour for a fun pop of color. This is super fun, especially for kids’ birthday parties!
- To make truffles, scoop the edible cookie dough into balls and dip into melted chocolate.
How to Serve
Here are my favorite ways to serve this easy edible sugar cookie dough:
- Serve a scoop of cold cookie dough in a small bowl and enjoy it like a bowl of ice cream.
- Fill funfetti cupcakes for a fun and tasty surprise!
- Form the cookie dough into a 1/2-inch thick square and refrigerator for 1 hour. Cut into small squares and mix into freshly churned homemade vanilla ice cream or use it as an ice cream topping.
How to Store
Keep this edible cookie dough stored in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften before serving.
To freeze, scoop into individual balls for easy serving. Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Yes! It’s made with heat-treated flour and without eggs so you can safely enjoy as much as you want.
Yes! Place the flour into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave for 30-second intervals for 1-2 minutes or until the flour reaches 165°F.
I don’t recommend baking this recipe. Since there is no leavener (baking powder or baking soda), it will spread too much, and without the egg, the dough will be dense. Instead, try baking these soft and chewy Funfetti Cookies.
Baking Sucess Tips & Takeaways
- Sift the cooled baked flour before adding it to your mixing bowl for a smooth dough.
- To make without a mixer begin with butter that is super soft (but not melting) to more easily incorporate using a spatula or spoon.
- Bake your flour in advance for easy prep! You can even double or triple the batter, divide the dough and use a variety of mix-ins for entertaining.
Please leave a starred rating and comment below if you make this Edible Sugar Cookie Dough. I love reading your feedback! And if you'd like to make this recipe later, don't forget to pin it on Pinterest! Happy Baking!Print