Peaches and cherries…this combination has summer written all over it. There is nothing like a fresh ripe peach picked right off the tree or snacking on a bowl of sweet red cherries. I am a big fan of fresh fruit in the summer. It is very refreshing especially because there are so many seasonal options that only last for a couple months. At their peak, peaches are naturally sweet and make delicious summer desserts without having to add a lot of sugar.
Last summer, my husband George and I visited a local farm to pick peaches. Tractors pulling large wagons dropped us off in fields of peach trees. We had a relaxing afternoon walking through the groves and picking peaches (and of course snacking on them too!). It was such a fun day and we went home with a full bushel of peaches. We gave some to neighbors and had plenty to snack on and even froze bags of sliced peaches, but I was also excited to experiment with creating peach desserts! I love crisps and tend to make them primarily in the fall. But I thought why not create a summer crisp.
After playing around with flavors, peach and cherries were the winners. YUM! Cinnamon and sugar provide additional flavor to the filling. The crisp topping also has cinnamon but is complimented with coconut and nutmeg.
These individuals crisps can also be made into one large crisp. I find that the individual sizes, however, are prettier for entertaining. The red sweet cherries compliment the yellow peaches. You can also substitute with golden Rainer cherries. Adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the warm crisp is a delicious addition. Any leftovers can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Peaches and cherries are in season through August so, now is the perfect time to start making these crisps. Enjoy! I think another trip to the farm may be in store for us.Print
For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into tablespoons
For the filling:
- Softened butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 3 cups pitted and quartered fresh cherries
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Center rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Butter 8 (6 oz) ramekins and place on prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- For the Topping. In a food processor combine flour, brown sugar, oats, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add the the butter and pulse for about 1 minute or until mixture resembles course meal.
- For the Filling. Place the peaches and cherries in a medium mixing bowl, then toss with sugar and cinnamon. Once combined, add cornstarch and mix well.
- Assemble the Crisps. Scoop 1/2 cup of fruit filling into each ramekin. Place a heaping 1/4 cup topping on each fruit filled ramekin (loosely, not packed).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is browned.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.