What’s the holiday season without some delicious gingerbread? The aroma of ginger filling the home is a heavenly smell. And to celebrate with these festive flavors, I’m baking up some gingerbread doughnuts with an orange ginger glaze. Perfect for Christmas morning breakfast or snacking on all December long.
The mixture of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg will not only fill your kitchen with a warm and cozy aroma, but it gives these doughnuts their festive winter flavors. Although these doughnuts can be eaten plain without a glaze, perfect for dipping in your coffee, the addition of the orange ginger glaze is a nice balance to these doughnuts.
This recipe is quick and simple (a plus for the busy holiday season). It does not require any frying or yeast and yields a fluffy cake like doughnut. Careful not to over mix your batter or else you will end up with dense doughnuts.
Turn up the Christmas music and bake up some of these gingerbread doughnuts to snack on as your wrap your holiday gifts, put together your Christmas dinner menu and prepare to finish any last minute holiday shopping.Print
For the Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- For the Doughnuts. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, egg, molasses and milk. Add the melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into doughnut wells, filling until 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow doughnuts to completely cool before glazing.
- For the Glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, ginger and orange zest. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth and desired consistency.
- Dip each top of doughnut into glaze. Transfer each doughnut to a wire rack over a baking sheet to catch any drippings.