For the Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- For the Doughnuts. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, egg, molasses and milk. Add the melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into doughnut wells, filling until 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow doughnuts to completely cool before glazing.
- For the Glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, ginger and orange zest. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth and desired consistency.
- Dip each top of doughnut into glaze. Transfer each doughnut to a wire rack over a baking sheet to catch any drippings.