Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are creamy and delicious. It’s a fun, and refreshing family treat to make all summer long. Sandwich your favorite ice cream between two homemade chewy chocolate chip cookies.
When summer hits, its time for some refreshing frozen treats to cool off from the heat. One of my favorite desserts to make is homemade ice cream sandwiches. They’re fun and easy to make, and the flavor options are endless.
These ice cream sandwiches begin with homemade chewy chocolate chip cookies, which are then sandwiched together with homemade vanilla ice cream or your favorite ice cream. Mix and match with a variety of ice cream flavors and serve at your next gathering.
Why this recipe works
- The cookies are chewy, perfect for an ice cream sandwich.
- These sandwiches are creamy, refreshing, and delicious.
- It can be made with your favorite ice cream.
- You can coat the ice cream with your favorite toppings.
- These can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
Before you begin
Take out the following baking equipment.
Digital kitchen scale
2 large baking sheet pans
Stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
2 small bowls
Wire cooling rack
Ice cream scooper
Allow all your ingredients to come to room temperature.
Read the recipe through from start to finish.
Using a combination of all-purpose and bread flour will create a texture that is a balance between chewy and tender. Bread flour has a higher protein and therefore creates more gluten. However, only using this kind of flour would result in a dense cookie. If you do not have bread flour, you can substitute with all-purpose flour.
Brown sugar adds moisture to cookies, which creates chewier cookies. It also makes cookies thick and chewy, whereas granulated sugar creates cookies that are thin and crispy. Using a combination of the two sugars ensures that your cookies are a perfect balance.
The type of chocolate you use for these chewy chocolate chip cookies is entirely your preference. I have used traditional chocolate chips, but you could substitute with chocolate chunks. For a cookie that has more chocolate spread throughout, use a chocolate baking bar and chop more finely. I prefer semisweet chocolate, but dark chocolate is delicious too.
How to serve chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches
Ice cream sandwiches are fun to make, especially when you get the little ones involved. Here are some ideas on how to jazz up your frozen creations.
- Dip the bottom of your cookie in melted chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool completely before sandwiching together with ice cream.
- Roll your ice cream sandwich in sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, nuts, or toasted coconut for a fun presentation and added texture.
- Create an ice cream sandwich bar. Set out plates of cookies and a variety of ice cream flavors and toppings. Have your guests build ice cream sandwiches for a fun activity.
How to store ice cream sandwiches
Once assembled, place your ice cream sandwiches in the freezer, for about an hour, to set. Individually wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Tips and takeaways
- To make a more crispy chocolate chip cookie, replace one of the eggs with an egg yolk. Doing this will eliminate some of the moisture.
- For a softer, more cake-like texture, add an extra egg to the cookie dough to increase the moisture content.
- Make sure your cookies are completely cool before sandwiching together with ice cream.
If you love ice cream, try these other recipes…
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- No Churn Cherry Chunk Ice Cream
- Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
- No Churn Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream
Make sure to tag me @thesweetoccasion on Instagram and leave me a review below if you make these Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. I’d love to see your creations and read your feedback. And if you would like to make this recipe later, be sure to pin this recipe using the button on any of these images. Let’s make every occasion a sweet occasion!Print