Blueberry hand pies are made with an all-butter pie crust that bakes to golden brown perfection. The filling is bursting with fresh blueberries that have a hint of lemon. These mini pies are the perfect portable summer treat!
For the dough
- 1 recipe All Butter Pie Crust
For the filling
- 225 g (1 1/2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 110 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 18 g (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- zest from 1 lemon
- 28 g (2 tablespoons) fresh lemon juice
- 1 g (1/2 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 1.4 (1/4 teaspoon ) salt
- 50 g (1 large) egg, beaten
- 14 g (1 tablespoon) milk
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F/218°C. Line two baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone mats. Roll out one dough disc on a floured surface to a 12×8-inch rectangle. Cut into 8 rectangles and place them evenly spaced onto one of the prepared baking sheet pans. Place the pan into the refrigerator.
- Repeat with the other dough disc for top crusts and place on the second sheet pan. Put the pan into the refrigerator.
- In a small bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat together egg and milk. Brush bottom pastry crusts with egg wash. Divide blueberry filling mixture evenly between the 8 crusts by piling high in middles and allowing for a 1/2-inch border on all sides. Place the remaining 6 rectangles on top of blueberry filling. Gently stretch the dough to allow edges to meet and lightly press edges together to create a seal. Using a fork, crimp edges of each hand pie.
- With remaining egg wash, brush each hand pie and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in each pie to allow for steam to escape.
- Bake hand pies for 16-18 minutes or until crusts are golden brown and blueberry filling is bubbly.
- Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. Enjoy.
Keywords: blueberry hand pies, pies, summer dessert