Easy homemade Lemon Cream is sweet, tangy, and bright. It’s delicious as a cake filling, tart filling, or even served with scones and toasted bread.
- 155g (2/3 cup) lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 165 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 g (2 large) eggs
- 40 g (2 large) egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 226 g (8 oz) unsalted butter, diced and at room temperature
- Place the lemon juice, zest, sugar, eggs, egg yolks, and salt into a medium heatproof bowl set over a small saucepan filled with an inch of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. The temperature should read 170°F/75°C, and the mixture should coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a blender. Allow the cream to cool for about 15 minutes (the temperature should be approximately 140°F/60°C).
- Blend the butter into the lemon mixture, a couple of pieces at a time. Once all the butter has been added and incorporated, pour the lemon filling into a container. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the filling to prevent a ‘skin’ from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before enjoying.
- Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze the lemon cream up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before enjoying.
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemon juice as opposed to bottled lemon juice.
Keywords: tart filling, pastry filling