Chai Apple Pie is made with a delicious all-butter pastry dough and filled with fresh apples mixed with a chai spice blend for a comforting dessert. This pie is finished with a beautiful lattice crust. It’s the perfect pie for any time of the year and makes a lovely addition to your holiday dessert table.
For the crust
- 1 recipe all-butter pie crust
For the filling
- 1040–1300 g (8–10 cups) apples, cored, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 28 g (2 tablespoons) fresh lemon juice
- 16 g (2 tablespoons) cornstarch
- 4 g (2 teaspoons) ground cinnamon
- 3.5 g (2 teaspoons) ground ginger
- 2 g (1 teaspoon) ground cardamom
- 2.6 g (1 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- 0.5 g (1/4 teaspoon) ground cloves
- 110 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 55 g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 4 g (1 teaspoon) pure vanilla extract
- Zest of half an orange, optional
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Egg wash, 50 g (1 large) egg plus 14 g (1 tablespoon) milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
For the crust
- Prepare the all-butter crust recipe. Carefully transfer rolled out dough to a 9-inch pie dish. Fit the dough to the bottom and sides of the dish by carefully lowering the dough into the dish and allowing the dough to fall into place. Leave a 1-inch border and trim the rest of the dough using a pair of kitchen shears or a knife. Refrigerate crust while preparing the filling.
For the filling
- In a large bowl, add the sliced apples, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, and orange zest. Gently mix with a silicone spatula until thoroughly combined. Add the filling to the chilled crust.
- Roll out your top crust, beginning from the center and rolling outwards, to a circle that is 3 inches larger than your baking dish. Using a pastry cutter wheel (or sharp knife), cut the dough into 3/4-inch strips.
- Gently lay strips parallel to each other over the filled pie allowing for 1.5-inches between each piece. Peel back every other strip halfway and lay a piece of pie dough along the center of the pie perpendicular to the other pieces. Fold the strips back down over the perpendicular strip and fold the other pieces back to the point of the perpendicular strip. Lay another perpendicular strip and repeat the process of threading the strips until a full lattice-top is complete.
- With a pair of kitchen shears, trim away excess dough from the strips and roll excess dough from the bottom crust up and over the edge of the pie crust. Pinch dough together with fingertips and crimp the edge of the pie.
- Brush the lattice top with the egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet pan and bake at 400°F/204°C for 20 min then reduce oven to 375°F/190°C for an additional 40 min or until pie is browned and bubbly.
- Allow pie to completely cool before slicing and serving.
Make-Ahead: The all-butter pie crust can be made up to 3 days in advance. You can bake this pie 1 day in advance, cool to room temperature, cover tightly, and store at room temperature.
- Category: Pies