Sweet, buttery brioche rolls are perfectly tender. This traditional French bread is made into rolls perfect breakfast, as an accompaniment to any meal, or as a sandwich roll.
- 525 g (3 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5.1 g (2 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 55 g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 4.8 g (1 teaspoon) salt
- 180 g (3/4 cup) whole milk, at room temperature
- 150 g (3 large) eggs, at room temperature
- 85 g (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons and at room temperature
- Egg wash
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt and mix to combine evenly. Add the eggs and milk, and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. Using a spatula or dough scraper, scrape the dough from the sides and bottom of the bowl. Continue to mix on medium speed for an additional 10 minutes, or until dough is soft and smooth.
- Reduce the mixer to low speed and add the butter, one tablespoon at a time, making sure it is fully incorporated before adding the next piece. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Once all the butter is fully incorporated, mix on medium speed for an additional 5 minutes, or until the dough is soft, elastic, and shiny.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled medium bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest at room temperature for about 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Stretch and fold the left side of the dough over to the center as well as the right side over to the center. Repeat this process with the top and bottom portions of the dough. Place seam side down in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight to ferment.
- Line a baking sheet pan with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside. On a lightly floured work surface, using a bench scraper, divide the dough into 113 g (4 oz) portions. Round out each portion into a ball and place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to proof at room temperature for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When you poke the dough gently with your finger, the small indentation should spring back.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C. When the dough is ready, brush the surface with the egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Transfer rolls to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bread