Moist, classic yellow cupcakes topped with a light and fluffy chocolate buttercream. Perfect to serve at your next birthday celebration or any occasion.
- 1 1/2 cups (165 g) sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (113 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 g) sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk, at room temperature
- Chocolate buttercream for frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together softened butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, 4-5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in vanilla until mixed well and then sour cream. With the mixer on low speed and in three parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack before frosting.
- Make Ahead: Make cupcakes up to 1 day in advance. Cover in an airtight container at room temperature. Chocolate buttercream can be made up to 1 week in advanced and stored covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready to use bring to room temperature and rewhip for 5 minutes using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Freezing: Freeze cupcakes frosted or unfrosted for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Baker’s tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer, spatula, cupcake pan, cupcake liners, pastry bags, pastry tip.
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes
Keywords: birthday cake cupcakes, birthday, vanilla cupcakes, chocolate buttercream