Fresh strawberry cinnamon rolls are the perfect breakfast treat for any occasion. They're made with plump seasonal strawberries, a light cinnamon swirl, and whipped cream cheese frosting.
- 530 g (4 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 70 g (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 75 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 60 g (1/4 cup) sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 240 g (1 cup) warm whole milk
- 165 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 85 g (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 300 g (2 cups) sliced strawberries
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 113 g (1/2 cup) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 58 g (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 180 g (1 1/2 cups) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, yeast, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the melted butter, sugar, sour cream, and egg. Attach the bowl to the mixer, and using the dough hook on low speed, add the flour mixture and milk and mix to combine. Increase the mixer to medium-low speed and mix for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. It's ok if it is still slightly sticky.
- Scrape the dough from the sides of the bowl and drizzle with vegetable oil. Turn the dough so that it is lightly greased on all sides. Loosely cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise in a warm place (75°F/24°C) until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with butter.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and lightly punch down to release some of the air. Roll the dough into a 12x18-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spread the softened butter onto the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border along one of the long edges. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the butter. Arrange the strawberries in an even layer over the sugar.
- Roll the dough tightly into a log, beginning with the long edge with the filling. Pinch the seam to seal, trim the ends, and slice into 12 rolls. Arrange the rolls in the prepared pan and allow them to rise in a warm place until they are puffed for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Bake the strawberry cinnamon rolls for 35-40 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. All the rolls to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- With a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in the powdered sugar until combined. Increase the mixer to high speed and beat the frosting until fluffy. Spread onto the warm rolls.
- Storage: Store covered at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Store in a freezer-safe container in the freeze for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Rise Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
Keywords: strawberry rolls, cinnamon rolls, cream cheese frosting