Simple to make moist 2-layer carrot cake packed with flavor and finished with cream cheese frosting.
For the Carrot Cake:
- 2 3/4 cups (390 g) bread flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (440 g) granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups (365 g) canola oil
- 5 large (250 g) eggs
- 3 cups (400 g) grated carrots
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 16 oz (450 g) full fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 stick (115 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 5 cups (600 g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For the Carrot Cake. Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the bread flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, blend the sugar and oil. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the mixture until combined. Add the sifted ingredients into the sugar-oil mixture and mix until combined thoroughly. Fold in grated carrots.
- Divide cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake in preheated ovens for 40-45 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack before frosting and assembling.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium-high speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until completely combined and creamy. Add vanilla extract and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Assemble the Cake. Set one layer on a plate. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with second layer and spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert