Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is creamy and refreshing. The flavor of fresh mint is unmatched with artificial flavors and store-bought ice cream. It’s easy to make, and it’s the perfect summertime treat.
- 480 g (2 cups) heavy cream
- 240 g (1 cup) whole milk
- 30 g (1 cup) loosely packed mint leaves
- 120 g (6 large) egg yolks
- 147 g (2/3 cup) granulated sugar, divided
- 170–226 g (6–8 oz) chopped chocolate
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and mint leaves over medium heat until just steaming (do not boil). Remove from the heat and let stand for 2 hours.
- Discard the mint leaves. To the cream mixture, add half of the sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining sugar together. Temper the yolk mixture by vigorously whisking half of the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Whisk the yolk mixture back into the cream mixture and reduce heat to low. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture until it reaches 175°F/80°C.
- Pour the custard into a medium mixing bowl and set the bowl over an ice-water bath. Stir until the mixture has cooled. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn the custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers’ instructions. Fold in the chopped chocolate and freeze until ready to serve.
- Storing: Store in a freezer-safe, airtight container in the back of the freezer. Best consumed within the first 2 weeks of making.
Keywords: mint ice cream, summer treat, ice cream