Lemon Berry Mascarpone Cake is made with lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and mixed berries for a fresh flavor dessert. Buttermilk and vegetable oil create a moist and tender cake that's topped with a rich and creamy mascarpone frosting. This easy homemade cake is ready in under 1 hour.
- 130 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 43 g (1/3 cup) + 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 165 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, about 2 lemons
- 110 g (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 82 g (1/3 cup) buttermilk, at room temperature
- (1 cup) quartered fresh strawberries
- 110 g (3/4 cup) fresh blueberries
- 110 g (3/4 cup) fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 113 (4 ounces) mascarpone cheese, cold
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 60 g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 120 g (1/2 cup) heavy cream, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/177°C. Grease and flour an 8x8 square cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar with the lemon zest until incorporated (using your hands is easiest!).
- Add the oil, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla to the sugar and whisk to combine.
- In three parts, alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Set the hot pan on a wire rack and allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, combine the berries and sugar. Let sit for about 20 minutes until the berries have released some juice.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the mascarpone cheese, lemon zest, and vanilla on medium speed until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix to combine.
- Increase the mixer speed to high and slowly pour in the heavy cream. Beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy (no more than 3 minutes). Do not overmix!
- Spread the mascarpone frosting over the cake and top with the mixed berries just before serving.
Frozen berries: If substituting with frozen berries, place in a bowl with the sugar and allow the berries to thaw together at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
Cream cheese: If you prefer, substitute an equal about of full-fat cream cheese for the mascarpone cheese.
Storage: Store leftover cake in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Layered cake: Divide the batter between two greased and floured 6-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350°F/177°C oven for 27-30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
Keywords: lemon cake, lemon berry cake, mascarpone frosting, spring dessert, summer dessert