Chocolate sugar cookies are soft and deliciously chocolatey. Create fun shapes using your favorite cookie cutters and decorate with royal icing for some fun and festive cookies.
- 3 cups (420 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.8 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.8 g) salt
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (220 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large (100 g) eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (3.5 g) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the sugars and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Mix in eggs one at a time and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture into butter mixture. Continue to mix until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide dough into two pieces and form each into a 1-inch thick round disc. Cover each round tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove one of the discs from the refrigerator and place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll to 1/4-inch thick, cut out desired shapes and place on prepared baking sheet pans.
- Bake, one pan at a time, in preheated over for 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes on the hot sheet pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.