For the cake
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 g) at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk at room temperature
For the frosting
- 1 recipe chocolate buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Butter and flour a 9×13-inch cake pan. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together softened butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 4-5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in vanilla until mixed well. With the mixer on low speed and in three parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just combined.
- Fill prepared cake pan with batter and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack before frosting.
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes
Keywords: chocolate sheet cake, cake, chocolate, birthday cake