Decadent, silky smooth chocolate buttercream that’s perfect for decorating cakes, cupcakes and brownies.
- 2 sticks (226 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 pound (450 g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (45 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2–4 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt, beating until the sugar is completely incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated. Add, one tablespoon at a time, the heavy cream until desired consistency is achieved. Beat the buttercream on medium-high for an additional 5 minutes.
Keywords: chocolate buttercream recipe, chocolate, buttercream