Delectable chocolate almond friands are small almond cakes that are simple to make. They’re perfect for an afternoon snack served with coffee or tea.
- 170 g unsalted butter
- 110 g all-purpose flour
- 110 g almond flour, skinless
- 200 g powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 180 g egg whites
- 74 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30 g toasted almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to cook, without stirring, until the butter begins to turn a pale golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl to cool. Use some of the butter to lightly grease a mini muffin baking pan or friand molds.
- In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and frothy. Add the egg whites into the flour mixture and mix until combined. Whisk in the cooled brown butter and mix together. Fold in chocolate.
- Fill each mold 2/3 full with friand batter. Sprinkle friands with the chopped almonds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until friands are golden.
- Allow the friands to cool 5 minutes in the hot baking pan. Remove the friands from the molds and allow to cool to room temperature.