Almond Cream is a fundamental recipe used in pastry, especially French pastries. It’s simple to make and pairs well with so many flavors. It’s a great recipe to have on hand to complement a last-minute dessert.
- 70 g (3/4 cup) skinned almond flour
- 70 g (3/4 cup) powdered sugar
- 2 g (3/4 teaspoon) cornstarch
- 2 g (1 teaspoon) all-purpose flour
- 70 g (5.5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 2 g (1/2 teaspoon) pure vanilla extract
- 50 g (1 large) egg, at room temperature
- In a medium bowl, sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and all-purpose flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, salt, and vanilla and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the almond flour mixture to the bowl. Mix for an additional 1 minute. Add the egg and mix until incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use or up to 3 days.
Make-Ahead: Almond cream can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Freezing: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Allow the almond cream to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Keywords: frangipane, tart filling, tarts, french pastry