For the filling
- 2/3 cup (155 g) fresh Meyer lemon juice (5–6 Meyer lemons)
- Zest from 2 Meyer lemons
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large (100 g) eggs + 2 large (40 g) egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.4 g) salt
- 1 stick (113 g) unsalted butter, diced and at room temperature
For the tart shells
- 1 recipe Pâte Sucrée
For the meringue topping
- 2 large (80 grams) egg whites
- 1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling: Place Meyer lemon juice, zest, sugar, eggs, egg yolks and salt into a medium heatproof bowl set over a small saucepan filled with an inch of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. The temperature should read 170°F/75°C and the mixture should coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain filling through a sieve into a small bowl. Whisk in butter until completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the filling to prevent a ‘skin’ from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For the tart shells: Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into eight equal pieces. Roll each portion into a 1/4-inch thick circle and line eight 4-inch tart pans. Use a sharp knife to cut any excess dough. Using a fork, perforate the bottom of each tart shell. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 1 hour.
- Position oven rack to middle of the oven and preheat to 325°F/160°C. Line the tart shells with parchment paper and fill with baking weights/dried beans/rice. Bake tarts for 10 minutes then remove parchment with weights and continue to bake for an addition 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- For the meringue topping: Just before serving prepare meringue topping. Place egg whites, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a small saucepan filled with an inch of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixing bowl to an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 10-12 minutes until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- To assemble the tarts: Fill each tart shell with the Meyer lemon filling. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue. Pipe desired shape on top of each tart. Using a kitchen torch, toast meringue. Serve immediately.