Homemade buttermilk biscuits that are deliciously buttery, flaky and tender.
- 2 1/2 cup (312 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 1 cup (270 ml) cold buttermilk
- Melted butter for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or your finger tips, cut butter into the flour until mixture resembles course meal.
- Create a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in the buttermilk and stir everything together until just combined. Be careful not to over mix the dough. The dough will be crumbly.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and gently pat dough into a rectangle. Cut in half with a bench scraper. Stack one half on top of the other. Slightly flatten dough and rotate 90 degrees. Repeat process two more times.
- Gently roll dough out to 3/4 – 1″ thick. Dip 2-inch round biscuit cutter into flour and cut out circles by pushing straight down through the dough. Do not twist the cutter as this will twist the flaky layers you have created. Place your biscuits side by side, touching, on your baking tray. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops of biscuits are golden brown. Serve warm.
Keywords: homemade buttermilk biscuits, breakfast recipe