Cherry dark chocolate oatmeal cookies are packed with chunks of chocolate, tart cherries, coconut, and a hint of almond. They are the perfect chewy cookie for any day of the week and any occasion.
- 226 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 165 g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 165 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 g (2 large) eggs
- 4.6 g (1 teaspoon) pure almond extract
- 210 g (2 cups) old fashioned oats
- 245 g (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5.2 g (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- 2.8 g (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 120 g (3/4 cup) dried tart cherries
- 130 g (3/4 cup) dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g (1/2 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C. Line two large baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the sugars and mix on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in eggs one at a time and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. Add almond extract and mix until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture into butter mixture until combined. Add the dried cherries, dark chocolate chunks, and coconut and mix by hand just until evenly distributed.
- Scoop dough, about 3 tablespoons each, and roll into balls. Place on prepared baking sheets and slightly flatten into disc-like shapes. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown (center will still be light in color). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make-Ahead: You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Allow the dough to come to room temperature before baking.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing: Freeze unbaked cookie balls for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, allow the dough to come to room temperature and bake as directed in the recipe. If baking without thawing, allow for an extra 2-3 minutes of baking time.
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, dried cherries, dark chocolate cookies