If ice cream doesn’t scream summer then I don’t know what does. There is something about the creaminess of ice cream that is just so heavenly. It’s perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth craving on a hot summer day. So refreshing and delicious! But let’s be honest, ice cream isn’t just for summer. It’s a year round treat. If there was one dessert that I couldn’t live without, it would definitely be ice cream.
Did you hear? Today is National Ice Cream Day (that’s right, a day of celebrating this tasty dessert), and I am serving up caramel ice cream parfaits! They make for a delicious entertaining dessert and are fun for kids to get involved with to help assemble.
Caramel is simple to make, but requires watching it carefully as to not overcook it or else it will quickly result in a burnt flavor. When boiling the sugar and water together it is very tempting to stir the mixture, however until the mixture comes to a boil you do not want to stir it. It can cause crystallization. Once the sugar mixture is boiling, I occasionally swirl the saucepan to help the caramel color more evenly. Keep a close eye on the mixture. At this point the color will get dark very quickly. So it’s crucial to remove it from the heat as soon as it turns amber, the ideal color.
When making this recipe, use your favorite brand of caramel ice cream. Gelato equally works well. And if you’d like to use another flavor of ice cream instead then that works too! Cater this recipe to what you like best. The most fun part is putting the parfaits together and enjoying them with family and friends. If you are inviting guests over, you could even make an ice cream bar and your guests can have fun building their own parfaits. The options are endless!Print
For the Caramel
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Cookie Crust
- 1 1/4 cup ground chocolate cookie crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 quart caramel ice cream
- For the Caramel. In a measuring cup combine heavy cream and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil over medium high heat. Do not stir. Allow to boil for 10-12 minutes until it turns an amber color. Remove from heat and whisk in cream mixture (careful the mixture will bubble up). Whisk in butter and salt. Allow to cool.
- For the Cookie Crust. In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs, butter and salt. Set aside.
- For the Whipped Cream. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat heavy cream and sugar until medium peaks form. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To Assemble. Place 2 tablespoons cookie mixture into the bottom of eight (8-ounce) mason jars or dessert glasses. Fill each jar with two generous scoops of ice cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce over each ice parfait. Top each with whipped cream and sprinkle cookie crumbs over each as a garnish.